Since 2001, WINGS has contributed over $975,000 to Northfield-area non-profits to support projects and programs than benefit local women and/or youth. WINGS accepts grant applications from January to mid-March each year. Grants are awarded in June.
WINGS Grant Policy
WINGS supports endeavors that encourage women and youth of all cultures, nationalities, races, sexual orientation and abilities to reach their full potential. WINGS grants contribute to the health, safety, education, socialization, artistic growth and economic stability of the community. WINGS strives to increase access to opportunity through grants to both new and existing projects, taking into consideration financial need, impact and capacity building. WINGS encourages innovative initiatives.
WINGS gives grants to qualified non-profit organizations, public schools and government organizations for the purpose of general community support. Projects funded must benefit residents of the Northfield School District. Both the applicant organization and the project funded must comply with current legal requirements forbidding discrimination as to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or national origin. Grants will not be awarded for any of the following purposes: endowment campaigns, debt reduction, lobbying or sectarian purposes/programs. In addition, they typically will not be awarded for capital development/improvement projects.
“Dare to Dream” and “Dare to Dream Bigger” Grants
In 2014 WINGS launched a $10,000 Dare to Dream grant to be awarded to an area non-profit which WINGS felt had the most compelling dream to help women and children in the Northfield area reach their full potential. WINGS sought proposals that were innovative, impacted the community and built capacity. Applicants outlined ideas that could not be carried out without this financial award. This award did not take the place of annual grants, but rather created a new and exciting way to encourage applicants to take risks and dream big with either a new endeavor or an enhancement to a current initiative. A $10,000 grant was offered again in 2016.
In 2018, WINGS dreamed bigger, offering a $25,000 award to fund a project that was innovative, had the potential to impact a large number of women or youth in the Northfield area and would have a long term effect beyond the three years of the grant.
Meet the Dare to Dream and Dare to Dream Bigger Grantees here.
Meet the 2018 Grant Recipients
- Youth Outreach Collaborative-Northfield Union of Youth (Dare to Dream Bigger Grant)
- IRIS Bereavement Support Packets
- Roger Jenni Instruments for All Program-Northfield Fine Arts Booster
- Creating Community-Northfield Arts Guild
- Transitional Shelter Program-Ruth’s House of Hope
- Northfield Youth Sports Collaborative Challenge Grant-CAC
- Family School Transportation-Dakota Prairie Basic Education
- Camp FRIENDS-Northfield Public Schools
- Advance Care Planning Communnity Initiative-Northfield Hospitals & Clinics
- Care Service Provisions-HOPE Center
- Rice County Dispute Resolution Program-Community Mediation and Restorative Services
- Pizza en el Parque-Northfield HCI
- After School Mentoring Collaboration-Project Friendship
- Greenvale Park Community School Sustainability Project-Northfield Community Services NPS, Northfield HCI
- Y Scholarships for Low-Income Families-Northfield Area Family Y
- Vegetable Production Training Workshops for Aspiring Latina Farmers in Northfield-Main Street Project
- TORCH Education Fellows Pathway-Northfield HCI
- Northfield YouthBank-Northfield HCI
- High School Reading Mentors-Northfield HCI
- Basic Needs-Housing Stability-CAC
- TORCH Summer Camps & Experiences
- Teen Clinic Services and Northfield Expansion-HealthFinders
- English Learner (EL) Preschool Section at NCRC-Northfield Public Schools
- Community Action Center-Northfield Works; Career Training and Education Opportunities